MENTALHEALTH, ETHICS & SOCIAL HEALTH MESH

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Mar 22 11:18 pm  #1

Psychiatrists and mental health providers dropping patients

My friend had been seeing a psychiatrist for the past 8 years.
Or so give or take.
That was a long time.
I'm always glad when doctors can actually see clients that long!
But he told me that he had asked his dr if he could take a new patient, me. Not only was he not accepting new patients, dr. is  dropping my friend.
I really wish there was some kind of a law or a regulation,stating that, if a doctor decides to stop taking the insurance, etc. , or drop a patient/ client, I wish they were required to refer that patient or patients to another doctor (checking at first of course if they will take that patient!). Or call another doctor or consult with one of their colleagues or something and tell them "I am dropping this patient will you please take them?"
THEY SHOULD NEVER JUST DROP A PATIENT INTO THIN AIR. I asked my friend if he got referred to someone else and he said no. OMG

So my friend isn't getting treatment and I may not! It's just not happening, so now , we're stuck not being able to have a psychiatrist and we need them to certify us for our benefits and to continue our treatment!
I was lucky I could even get into IOP last October and I've considering leaving IOP because I'm being mistreated there. It's about lunch. They keep messing around the lunch.
The place where I'm going offers perks: a continental breakfast in the morning and a lunch in the afternoon and a snack mid-afternoon. I don't go in the morning so I don't have a breakfast. That's fine; I'm not denied the snacks because the snacks are served at the same time every day but the lunch workers just love to jigger the lunch times on me (nd maybe even on the other clients too.)
Oh oops I went into it. I promised someone I wouldn't. At least I didn't drop names anywhere on this post. Protect the guilty protecting innocent. I'm not here to punish anyone just to vent. I'm holding up pretty well right now. We all need and deserve treatment everyone. But it isn't happening.
Not enough anyway.
Patients are being dropped like old shoes and they don't seem to care.
I understand if doctors need to take sabbaticals or breaks or if they don't want to deal with the paperwork. Or if they're not getting paid by the insurance. I totally get that I really do. But where does that leave us?!
Many homeless people have mental illnesses and I wonder if this is because (in part), doctors are are dump are dumping us?

Month of May:

The balmy breeze of mental wellness 🍃

Board footera